Friday, October 12, 2012

Medical Alert.....

Two weeks ago I made a medical decision regarding my safety. It was not one I took lightly. I was told by my ENT doctor and audiologist I needed to have a medical alert bracelet or necklace. My implant device has a magnet internally so that I can attach my outer sound processor to it. In the picture below is my sound processor next to my hearing aid that I wear in my right ear. The round part of my sound processor is the magnet that attaches to the implant in my skull area above my ear. The behind the ear processor is what houses the computer chip and microphone. It sends all of the sounds and signals through the magnet to the electrodes in my cochlea and to my brain. Note that I have no ear mold going into my ear like my other hearing aid.

My hearing aid and my sound processor
 

Two weeks ago, out of the blue I told Todd, "I think I want to get a tattoo today." Todd says, "What??" He really did not believe me at first because I have no tattoos and I can be a prude when it comes to that stuff. We had talked about it before but it was just casual in conversations we had and nothing came of it. As time went on, the urgency of having a medical alert bracelet was pressing on my mind. I cannot have an MRI because of the magnets. If I would have an MRI, it would literally rip the implant through my skull. I would never be able to have an implant again in that ear. That was not a pleasant thought after all I went through to get to this point. It would be devastating. For those that know me, I am not a jewelry person. All I wear is my wedding band and earrings. I will occasionally wear a nice necklace or bracelet on special occasions but it's very rare. I really didn't like the thought of wearing a medical alert bracelet every day. Or a necklace. I would have to make to sure I remember to put it on daily. Todd and I talked about the pros and cons and all the scenarios. If I would get in a car accident, the necklace or bracelet could possibly come off and fly under the seat and they would never know I have an implant. I know that's worse case scenario but I think about it. This is my life we're talking about. Or if I would be out running and I happen to pass out for some reason......and I forget to put my bracelet on no one would know I have an implant. Those are just some of the scenarios Todd and I thought of. I decided having a medical alert tattoo would be the best option for me. It would be where they would check for my pulse. It would alert them that I am not to have an MRI and that I have a cochlear implant. Knowing that I would never have to worry about forgetting to put a bracelet on or losing my bracelet in an accident gave me much greater sense of security and peace. So I made my decision right then and there two weeks ago when I woke up on a Saturday morning. My kids were like, "No way"......they never thought their Mom would get a tattoo. Of course, Chris and Matt said, "Do it.....you only live once". :)  So......Todd and I went to Glenn Scott's in Kettering. I told them to make it as small as they could. I was nervous. And it hurt like heck  since it was on a sensitive spot on my wrist. It felt like dull razor blades with fire especially on the outlining. It only took about 20 minutes. I was very pleased with the outcome. I left with a great weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I don't have to worry about all the scenarios with a bracelet. It's permanent. I love it and I am really happy with my decision.
 
My medical alert tattoo


1 comment:

  1. Medical alert systems saves thousands of lives every year! This medical systems (http://www.freedommedicalalert.com/) are ready to respond to any emergency 24 hours a day – 365 days a year. Help at the push of a button! Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete